While more research is needed in terms of identifying and confirming all of the its benefits, fenugreek is shown to help with numerous health issues. Here are eight of the most proven fenugreek benefits.
1. Improves Digestive Problems and Cholesterol Levels
Fenugreek may help with numerous digestive problems, such as upset stomach, constipation and inflammation of the stomach. For instance, the water-soluble fiber in fenugreek, among other foods, helps relieve constipation. (1) It also works to treat digestion and is often incorporated in an ulcerative colitis diet treatment plan due to its anti-inflammatory effects.
Fenugreek also seems to benefit those with heart conditions, such as hardening of the arteries and high blood levels of certain fats, including cholesterol and triglycerides. It also shows potential for helping those who are diabetic. In fact, a study out of India showed that administering 2.5 grams of fenugreek twice daily for three months to people dealing with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus significantly lowered cholesterol naturally, along with triglycerides, without affecting HDL cholesterol.
2. Reduces Inflammation Inside the Body
3. Increases Libido in Men
4. Promotes Milk Flow in Breastfeeding
5. Lowers Inflammation from Outside the Body
6. Adds Flavor and Spice to Food
7. Helps with Eating Disorders
8. Improves Exercise Performance
9. Helps Improve Blood Sugar